· Working with Savannah Tech and Chatham County Public School System to create/implement marine trades training programs at both high school and technical school levels. Take our trades survey!
· Establishing the Tom Wright Marine Trades scholarship fund for students, to assist in marine trades training.
· Meeting with state legislators to request sponsorship of amendment to cap sales tax on boat and motor purchases (neighboring states all have such caps).
· Petitioning state legislators to sponsor a Marine Business Owners Protection Act, to resolve issues related to vessels abandoned by owners, unpaid dockage and storage fees, and unpaid service fees.
· Serves on the Clean Marina Program committee, along with UGA Marine Extension and Georgia Sea Grant, and the GADNR. The committee is responsible for working with coastal Georgia marinas to achieve Clean Marina certification through a rigorous assessment process. The first round of Georgia Clean Marinas will be certified in the summer of 2023. Visit GeorgiaCleanMarina.org to learn more.
· Researching methods to improve relations with tourism industry
· Monitoring proposed state legislation for impact to the coastal region
· Monthly meetings, held second Wednesday of every month. GAMBA business, group discussion, networking. Contact us for time and location.
· Annual Summer Social networking event, held last Thursday evening in July. Raffle drawings, open bar, food, music, and fun - info coming soon for this year's event!
· Networking oyster roast, held in winter
· Annual Christmas dinner, for members and invited guests.
· Worked to prevent marina zoning changes in Chatham County
· Worked with the DNR to resolve the abandoned/derelict vessel issue and improve anchorage problems
· Successfully worked to amend Georgia liveaboard laws
· Successfully lobbied at state and federal levels for funding for ICW dredging
· Successfully lobbied to overturn ad valorem tax for Georgia boat, motor and trailer sales
· Negotiated marina bottom lease rates with the GADNR
· Advocacy at local, state and federal levels on issues of importance to our members (strength in numbers)
· Local news, knowledge, resources and experience
· Networking events throughout the year
· Member referrals
· Information shared through GAMBA membership in other organizations, such as ABYC, AIWA, SMA, and more.
· Being part of an organization that makes our industry, and our Georgia coast, stronger!
Copyright © 2023 Georgia Marine Business Association - All Rights Reserved.