President – Dustin Hartley, Hinckley Yacht Services
Treasurer – Robert Hale, Hale Marine Services
Secretary – Lucy Bowie, Dunbar Yachts
Vice President – Ernie D'Alto, Thunderbolt Marine, Inc.
Vice President – Jim Lynes, MarineMax Savannah
Immediate Past President – Bubba Strickland, Hogans' Marina
ICW/Dredging Coordinator – Charlie Waller, Isle of Hope Marina
Executive Director – Amy Thurman, Southern Tides Magazine
The Georgia Marine Business Association represents the collective efforts of recreational marine-related businesses by working to promote and protect the interests of those conducting business in and around the waters of Coastal Georgia. It is our goal to create harmony between businesses and within the industry through advocacy, networking, and communication.
· Working with UGA Marine Extenstio and Georgia Sea Grant and the GADNR to implement a clean marina program.
· Working with Savannah Tech and Chatham County Public School System to create/implement marine trades training programs at both high school and technical school levels. This project will include a scholarship fund for students to assist in marine trades training.
· Meeting with state legislators (after end of current session) to request sponsorship of amendment to cap sales tax on boat and motor purchases (neighboring states all have such caps).
· In beginning stages of addressing antiquated legislation and policies concerning boats abandoned in marinas and boatyards.
· Researching methods to improve relations with tourism industry
· Monitoring proposed state legislation for impact to the coastal region
· Worked to prevent marina zoning changes in Chatham County
· Worked with the DNR to resolve the abandoned/derelict vessel issue and improve anchorage problems
· Successfully worked to amend Georgia liveaboard laws
· Successfully lobbied at state and federal levels for funding for ICW dredging
· Successfully lobbied to overturn ad valorem tax for Georgia boat, motor and trailer sales
· Negotiated marina bottom lease rates with the GADNR
· Advocacy at local, state and federal levels on issues of importance to our members (strength in numbers)
· Local news, knowledge, resources and experience
· Networking events throughout the year
· Member referrals
· Information shared through GAMBA membership in other organizations, such as ABYC, AIWA, SMA, and more.
· Being part of an organization that makes our industry, and our Georgia coast, stronger!
Copyright © 2022 Georgia Marine Business Association - All Rights Reserved.